mg-mmm

Guidance on Wiring PA

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Guidance on Wiring PA
From: DSBonar@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:09:39 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
As a new PA restorer, I am about to launch into rewiring the entire car. As
such, I need all the advice I can get. The car was "Ina basket" so I do not
even have the experience/learning gained from the disassembly process.

My electrical knowledge stops just short of wondering why electricity doesn't
run out on the floor when you unplug an appliance so be gentle with me. I
have read what I could find but I'm woefully short. I don't even know what I
don't know. My questions are in no particular sequence but would love your
input before I start.

Questions:

1. The car is almost fully disassembled now. What special considerations
should I take during the assembly process re. the wiring? (example: pre-wire
the dash before mounting to the scuttle, drill holes)? I've seen special
metal protectors on wiring under the front wings near the brake assembly. Is
that correct and what is really called?

2. Regarding the dash... I have had all instruments refurbished/replaced. I
note the "diver helmet" dash lights have but a single wire emerging from the
center of the rear. I am assuming that is for "hot" feed from the "milk
churn" pull switch in the rhomboid panel. There also appears to be a small
hole (perhaps threaded) in the rear of the assembly. Is that for a ground
wire? Since the dash is wood, do I wire to the firewall/frame or where must I
ground wires appear to go to panel fixing bolts for ground. Is that where one
picks up ground to frame?

3. When I look at a wiring diagram, I don't see anything attached to aux.
electrical take off point neg. connection, Same question as above?

4. I'd planned to add running light(s) to front, and control through the
extra milk churn switch. How best do I best accommodate this within the
wiring harness. Do I have to have one custom made? Didn't really want to run
extra wire willy-nilly all over the car.

5. I have been told that if I buy a harness from S & V, it comes already
wired for the "double dipping" on both lamps. Are there other considerations
with which I should be aware before purchase? Are there other/better sources?

6.  Where is the brake switch and what does it look like?

7. How have others handled the double vs. single rear brake/stop light? I
understand that various states here in US may have differing regs. I also
understand the originally, there was but a single rear light on the PA. In
judging competition, are cars "marked down" for displaying two if required by
current road laws?  In my readings I've also seen various individual
mountings for turn indicator lights and running lights mounted much higher on
the rear for better visibility. Thoughts? Suggestions?

7. Has anyone made the sidelamps "flash" for turn signals? I've never driven
with trafficators but question the eyesight/intelligence of the average local
drivers after 32 years of freeway commuting. Is this even an issue?

8. Most importantly, there has to be dozens of things I've not even
considered. What am I forgetting?
Thanks,

Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS