mg-mmm

Re: Two quick P questions

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Two quick P questions
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:35:57 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don

The pins are steel taper pins. They are difficult to remove and you will
need to get the chassis member really clean to find the ends.

Unless you are very lucky you will have to drill out the old taper pins
before you have any chance of removing the old suspension pins. Most likely,
even after drilling out the tapers the suspension pins won't unscrew without
a fair bit of heat.

In the worst case heat and allow to cool several times and then you will
find they can be unscrewed. Put the heat on the end of the chassis member so
that it tends to expand away from the thing you're trying to unscrew, ie
deliberately create differential expansion between the chassis and the pin.

I put our new ones in with Loctite, 'stud' mounting grade. That was about 20
years ago, so it must have worked!

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC