mg-mmm

Re: MG PA Engine & Generator

To: "Daniel Shockey" <magnut_dan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: MG PA Engine & Generator
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:38:42 -0600
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dan,

It sounds to me that you have two separate problems. After you threw
the rod on your PA, did you have the crankshaft, rods etc., rebalanced
before you rebuilt the engine? If not, the crank could be bent enough
to give you the vibration.

The oil leak is a different issue. I took the attached photo several
years ago. It is of a PA front main bearing and clearly shows two
places on the side of the sleeve where there are holes but only the
upper, right-hand one (in the pic') will be drilled all the way through
for the oil feed. The other one will be hollowed out the thickness of
the sleeve to accept the retaining screw. If that hole goes all the way
through you will indeed have an oil leak, but as others have suggested,
that can be fixed with some Teflon tape and sealant. Even if the hole
is not drilled, it is easy to punch it through if the retaining screw
is tightened too much.

Cheers, "Bob".

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of
pastedGraphic1.tiff]