mg-mmm

Re: wire wheel restoration

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheel restoration
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:31:46 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
DB35PA@aol.com wrote:

A friend is restoring a prewar Riley and sent me the following... any other suggestions or ideas? He lives in eastern US.
After getting no joy from British Wire wheel other than recommending Dayton Wire Wheel, I spoke to the guy at Dayton Wheel Concepts about refurbishing the Riley's five wheels of 18" x 4" size. They say they can certainly do the job by completely stripping, new spokes and nipples and repaint at the cool price of $410 each. They have a 90 day lead time at the moment. It looks like an over $2,000 exercise to refurbish the Riley's wheels? Welcome to the pre-war car world.
Any leads?
I would look in the UK first, and Canada. Might try the UK car newsgroups. I suspect some early MGs might use similar wheels, but not sure. I have a stack of wire wheels, but they're all 14 and 15 inch.

-Rock http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/