mg-mmm

RE: wire wheel restoration

To: "'Rocky Frisco'" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wire wheel restoration
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:56:50 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don,

I have no experience with commercially rebuilding wire wheels larger than 15
inches, but with the MGA and MGB wheels I've considered redoing, the cost of
respoking and truing was virtually the same as buying 60 spoke new Dayton
wheels. Then if you do have them rebuilt, you are still left with pitted
rims and worn hubs. If the hubs and rims are really really good, it might
pay to find a rebuilder, but I can't help in that department. I know that
various magazines seem to carry ads for wheel rebuilders. You might try
Dayton Wire Wheel. They are a member of the BMTA and one of their people did
a presentation to us on their products and services. I vaguely recall that
they did rebuild wheels, but again the cost was close to new.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer