Re: MG engine piston replacement

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Subject: Re: MG engine piston replacement
From: streepey <streepey@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:09:09 -0800
Stuart:

I'm cc'ing your msg and this reply to the list.  I'm sure someone can give
you some specifics on the time required to pull and replace an engine

I'm not really qualified to give you an estimate on shop time to pull the
engine.  Remember I'm just an amateur backyard mechanic that has owned TD"S
since 1960 and has done a couple of engine rebuilds in my garage using a
"comealong" hooked to a ceiling beam to pull the engine.

I can't imagine pulling the engine out the bottom !!!!.  I would think it
would be a hell of a job to get it out that way.

The biggest part of the job to pull the engine is stripping off all of the
stuff like the starter, generator, carbs, exhaust, wiring, etc.  You pull
the radiator off, pull the steering column out.  Pull the floorboards out
of the car, disconnect the gear box, and then pull the engine and gearbox
up and forward.

As I recall at my slow amateur pace it probably took me a day or so to pull
it, but remember I was in no hurry

Lee