Fan Bolt

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Bolt
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:44:37 -0500
Help!

   After getting my TD recently I was told the fan was on backwards. As it
turns out, according to the tip in the Moss catalog, only one blade was
backwards. I took them off without removing the radiator and got them poroperly
oriented (reinforcements towards the front and blade with offset holes towards
the rear). By the way, an 11/32 SAE socket worked fine.

   Now for the problem. Those little fan bolts must tolerate about as much
torque as a toothpick. I snapped one off. Didn't put a lot of pressure on it
either.

   The other three bolts went in just fine and everything seems quite snug, but
dare I run the car with only three bolts holding the fan? Does anyone have any
experience with this?

   I'd rather not tear the radiator out and all that right now if I don't have
to. I'm sure the day will come On the other hand, I don't want a blade flying
off. Any advice would be welcome.

John Gunnell