Re: Fan Bolt

To: gunnellj@krause.com
Subject: Re: Fan Bolt
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:04:50 -0400
John,
   Though I haven't seen the result of a blade shedding off the TD fan, I
have seen it on another engine. It's not a pretty sight when it hits the
radiator, then the top tank, then flies up into the hood.  One wonders
what it would do to hands, neck or face.
   Though this might never happen to you, it might.  My advice is to get
four new bolts in there, despite the difficulty.   My handy hint for
radiator removal is to have two or three wooden shingles (shakes).  As
you work the wrench through the slot between radiator shell and splash
panel the nuts go down below wrench reach.  Lift the radiator and support
it with the shingles to raise the nut back to wrench height.
Bob