Re: TF Problems of the Week

To: gunnellj@krause.com
Subject: Re: TF Problems of the Week
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:29:27 -0400
Hi John,
   Check all the wires for continuity and ensure that the connections are
clean and snug.  Loose connections can drive you nuts chasing these
intermittent problems.
   Slide back the inspection band and look at dynamo brushes.  The spring
for each should arch high enough over the brass brush holder so that
there is no chance of grounding and the brushes are pushed evenly against
the armature.  You can lift out the brushes to judge their condition, and
to measure their length.  But you don't have to worry overmuch about
length specifications if the springs are arched away from the guides.
   As to the ammeter---it may (or may not) be connected right at this
time.  A quick check:
   Ignition off-  needle should be centered.  If it's not centered,
disconnect one battery lead to see if it moves. If it moves, there's an
electric leak somewhere. If it doesn't move and needle is not quite
centered, it's ok, but you have to remember to make a mental adjustment
for the volt or two that the scale is out of calibration.
    Ignition on--needle should drop a couple of amps to Discharge, and
should pulse in discharge direction as you hear the fuel pump click.
   If it's not moving to discharge in these tests, it should be moving to
+ charge, which tells you that the ammeter is working but is hooked up
backwards.  Disconnect battery and reverse ammeter leads if it's reading
reverse.
   TFs do ride a bit lower in the stern than TDs.  The rear springs are
flatter. Moss has both TD and TF springs. TF springs are cheaper. Good
thing, as they are thought to wear out sooner.   But unless the spring is
really wiped, you shouldn't get the impact that pops the steering wheel
hub out.  That's way too firm.  Is the axle striking its bump stops when
this happens?  Look for shiny area on top of axle and clean area on the
bump stop.
  Are you sure that the rear dampers are actually working?  If they were
dry and took a lot of fluid, they may have been air bound. It would be
worthwhile to check fluid level again, since if they were air bound the
bubble could now have purged itself, leaving the fluid level too low to
be effective.  And, it could be that the dampers need rebuilding from
being run dry by the DPO.
   I haven't bought T-series springs, so can't comment from experience
about buying new or having old ones reworked.   Look at the wear on the
rear leaves, which may be relevant to having them repaired/rearched.
   What tire pressures are you using?  For general driving, most prefer
pressures that are considered pretty low these days.  24 front 27 rear is
a place to start.  If someone has put 35 lbs into the tires, the car will
be on the pavement occasionally but in the air a lot if the road is
bumpy.  It's great on a track, but miserable on a road.  MG suggested 18,
which does give a boulevard ride, at boulevard speeds, but is too low for
general use.
Bob