TF Problems of the Week

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TF Problems of the Week
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:43:40 -0500
Howdy Mates

   We're getting the old TF sorted out.

Problem 1:

Dynamo-related. One time it charges fine. The next time I drive it shows
discharge, then back again. Sometimes it will charge while driving, then
discharge when I get home and keeps discharging even if I rev it up. When I do
rev it up and it's discharging, the red light gets brighter as I rev it. This
in partucular doesn't seem right to me. Even if the dynamo was weak, if yoiu
rev it things should get better, not worse.

Sometimes the light is on while I'm driving. I have not yet experienced any
battery weakness, but I carry the crank in case.

You may recall that when I got the car the battery was in backwards. I reversed
it and re-polarized the dynamo but did nothing else. Some said to reverse
ammeter leads, but I thought re-polarizing took care of that. The ground cable
is clean and intact, though it is not the skinny MG type.

To me it almost seems like the polarity is reversing back and forth; as if it
is actually charging both when it shows charge and when it shows discharge.

I don't have electrical gauges to check things out. I'd love to hear some
opinions on whether I really have a problem and simple fixes.

Problem 2:

On bumpy roads the rear end feels like it's riding on rocks! Even smooth roads
are "thumpy." Car shakes so bad the steering wheel center pops out. Shocks
check out OK and have fluid and the rubber snubbers are there. I noticed that
the front bumper height of the TF is the SAME as my TD, but the rear bumper of
the TF is an inch and a half lower than the TD's rear bumper. I suspect that
they should both be the same height and that the rear springs on the TF are out
of camber.

If this is the case is it better to have the rear springs rebuilt and re-arched
or are aftermarket springs the best option? I see that the aftermarkets are of
a more modern design, but my car isn't a show car. Anyone have experience with
the aftermarket type? What other spring-related parts usually need replacement
when the springs are replaced or rebuilt?

John Gunnell