Re: Steering Rack gaiters

To: "S. Allen" <sallen3663@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack gaiters
From: "mark saperstein" <mmouth2@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:08:44 -0700
Hi Scott:
vaseline is presently not recommended for condoms (  nor presumably other
rubber products ) considering the gaiters in question are failing in an
internal bath of sae90 gear lube ( petroleum based ) applying similar to the
exterior should only accelerate the rate of failure.
And no, I am not suggesting the use of KY jelly :) , but a vegetable based
or synthetic oil resistant polymer might work very well as a preseravtive /
impermeable coating to provide insulation from the oils and ozone.....
perhaps "permatex hylomar" or even " PAM" cooking spray. these are soluble
in soap-detergent and water but not in petroleum based solvents.

  cheers, mickey in phoenix  53 td, 67bgt, 32F3 magna ots