: Re: 3 point seat belts

To: Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: : Re: 3 point seat belts
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:03:38 -0400
Bob,

Mounting a roll bar isn't the only consideration.  For it to do its job,
it must be high enough so that the driver is protected.  For most open
cars, this means that you could no longer erect the top/hood because the
roll bar is higher than it is.  My opinion is that for a street car a
roll bar is a waste of money and only for looks because it cannot be
made to also use the weather equipment.  See this link for some pictures
of many cars with roll bars taken at this year's Pittsburgh Vintage
Grand Prix.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ewsinc2/album?.dir=/9eba&.src=ph   Also
note that many of the oldest cars or most expensive cars do not have
roll bars.  Some vintage racing organizations do not require them.
Apparently the owners are willing to take the risk, even under the
harsher driving conditions at a course like Pittsburgh.  There are lots
of things to hit there and possibly roll one's car over.
For T series cars, my opinion is the best you can do is have three point
belts to provide some measure of protection in certain collisions.
Since these cars will probably just disintegrate in the worst wrecks, in
that case you may not want belts.  Who knows?  We each have to make our
own decisions.
Charlie