RE: 3 point seat belts

To: "mg-t" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 3 point seat belts
From: "Parkinson,Ron" <RParkinson@amestextile.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:50:40 -0400
Ladies and gentlemen,

There has been an extensive discussion on the general MG list about the
advantage of a roll bar.  Their conclusion I think you'll find is that
street roll bars are not high enough to not be mellon crushers in
serious accidents.  Rollovers are not all that common and the risk of my
head hitting the roll bar that is only inches above my unprotected head,
since I don't drive with a helmet I always found a greater risk.
Padding for the bars is not enough to help in an accident.  If you think
it is have a friend hit you with a padded pipe and see how it feels.

I am very concerned about safety especially the spear we have for a
steering column and the lack of side protection.  I wish there were good
solutions for a road car for those.  In any form of racing I would have
a roll bar and a helmet but please consider this before installing a
roll bar.

I think Terry is right about the duck and cover in a street accident in
that it all happens too fast.  In old books on racing drivers practiced
that but racing rolls you have more warning and they had no belts to
worry about.

One man's opinion,
Ron Parkinson
Newton, MA