Re: couours and tach drive and handbrake spring

To: Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz
Subject: Re: couours and tach drive and handbrake spring
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:05:44 -0400
Douglas,
  1. Moss might give you a couple of inches of piping if you asked.
Original piping was the color of original paint.   If you could not get a
satisfactory match with the available green, you might get better results
by painting available black instead of painting the creme-colored piping.
  2.  Keep asking this question; others may know better than I.  My
recollection from having a gearbox open a long time ago was that the
bushing appeared to be an ordinary looking bushing.  Instrument repair
shops (Nisonger and Moma) might have the bushing, or you could have
someone you know with a lathe turn one for you.   The grease?  I could
not find reference in the handbook to a grease for this gearbox. My
thought is that the grease doesn't really matter, as long as some is
there. I've used multipurpose chassis grease for 50 years and it seems
OK.  Castrol NLGI 2  seems to be a light-viscosity multipurpose grease
that MG shops in this area use as general-purpose grease.  Nice green
color, and cheap. At WalMart.
  3.   I don't know specific details of the springs and washers on the
pawl shaft.  If these are the ones concealed inside the handle, whatever
works would be fine, so checking through the boxes of springs at a
hardware store should get something that will do the job.
Bob