Re: carbs

To: krislynco.llc@adelphia.net
Subject: Re: carbs
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:22:23 -0400
Rock,
   It does sound as though the carbs are rich--one usually needs to use
the choke for starting from cold if air temp is not 75F or higher.
   Adjusting the mixture is simple enough, but it's a sequential
operation.  You should be sure valves are adjusted, then confirm ignition
settings, before starting to mess around with carbs.
   First with the carbs is to ensure that they are pulling equal amounts
of air. There are synchroniser tools for this. Synchronise first, then
adjust.  If a / the carbs are rich, you turn the brass adjusting nut
upward (inward) to lean the mix. Turn one flat of the nut. Test.  Test by
using a small screwdriver to lift the carb piston 1/16 inch and listen.
Listen for speed increase followed by decrease.  When you have adjusted
to the point that that is happening, go to the other carb. Then repeat on
first carb.     This procedure is laid out in the handbook & shop manual,
and it's not as difficult to do as it seems when you read about it.  The
hard part is removing the air filter manifold and the oil-filled filter
w/o spilling oil.
   If you are absolutely certain that the carbs are synchronised for air
flow,  it  _is_ possible to adjust w/o removing the filter assy.  In this
case you lift the pin by inserting a wire nail, 4d or 6d, up into the
hole in the carb body, to lift the piston.  You may need a small mirror
to find the hole the first time. It's on the flat bottom of the body, in
the direction of the throttle shaft.
   Your quick & dirty mixture adjustment gauge is a look at the spark
plugs. If black or sooty, you know you must lean the mix.  If they are
both ugly, you could lean the mix two flats of the nut on each carb just
to get you through to the weekend when you will have more time to do the
job right.
   Then, when the carbs are set just right, you can confirm the proper
mixture by looking at the plugs again, assessing their color against that
on a chart.
Bob