tach drive gearbox

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Subject: tach drive gearbox
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:02:20 -0400
The tack drive gearbox does not take grease, #90 or 140 gear oil only. Use
grease and the lubrication does not flow into the shaft bushings. Hence a
worn bushing, easily repaired with a new bushing available from any good
bearing supplier.
Bob Grunau

  2. My recollection from having a gearbox open a long time ago was that the
bushing appeared to be an ordinary looking bushing.  Instrument repair
shops (Nisonger and Moma) might have the bushing, or you could have
someone you know with a lathe turn one for you.   The grease?  I could
not find reference in the handbook to a grease for this gearbox. My
thought is that the grease doesn't really matter, as long as some is
there. I've used multipurpose chassis grease for 50 years and it seems
OK.  Castrol NLGI 2  seems to be a light-viscosity multipurpose grease
that MG shops in this area use as general-purpose grease.  Nice green
color, and cheap. At WalMart.