Steering gear

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering gear
From: "drmoyce" <drmoyce@ent-oakland.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:56:44 -0700
I tried to address the problem of uneven tire wear on the front tires of
my TD by taking it to a wheel alignment shop.  They were unable to align
the front end because of too much play in the steering rack.

The inner ball joint has between < and = inch play, diagnosed by moving
the left front wheel from side to side.

The manual talks about removing the whole rack and placing it in a vise
while removing the inner ball joint cover with a special tool, then
place the proper shims. I really dont want to remove the whole rack, so
I just pulled back the rubber gaiter to exposed the joint.  I dont have
the special tool, but can get a grip with some pretty big pipe wrenches.
Its obvious to me that this doesnt want to open and I dont want to
break the rack in the process. If I can get it open, where will I find
such shims? Should I just ignore the problem and rotate the tires
frequently?

Has anyone else been inside the steering gear?

Andy Moyce

52 TD

AWM