Re: TF spin on oil filter adaptor

To: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TF spin on oil filter adaptor
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:27:21 -0400
Hold on, folks. Note that Terry's original posting referred to a TF.
The Moss adapter for TD-TF is their 235-865.  The adapter for an MGA is
their 235-855.  Moss sells the same spin-on filters for each, viz.,
235-830 (K&N), 235-855 (Wix) and 235-880 (Fram).  That just says that
the 'outside' of the adapter is the same, i.e., uses a 3/4-16 thread and
seals with an attached gasket with an i.d. of about .243 inches.  Many
filters meet those criteria.

However, Terry's question is about the seal for attaching the adapter.
Since the adapters aren't the same, I'm not so sure that Barney's
criteria is appropriate (and I'm a great fan of Barney's).  The TD-TF
adapter needs to seal into the oil pump body just as the cover of the
oil filter would, whether Tecalemit or Purolator.  If you buy a NAPA
1300 filter element (same as Wix 21300) you'll find 3 rubber gaskets in
the box.  The optimum fit and seal is generally accepted to be one that
is approximately .088 inches thick.  The sealing gasket for the MGA
adapter may be different.

Bud Krueger
http://www.ttalk.info/