Re: Glad to hear of the TF...TD Dies on road

To: Lordshill@aol.com
Subject: Re: Glad to hear of the TF...TD Dies on road
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:57:43 -0700
Roy,

Tell us more about how the TD "just died" on the road home.  Did you get
any strange noises eminating from the direction of the engine or did the
engine start sputtering and come to a halt or did it just suddenly seize
up?  If it sputtered to a stop, I would be more inclined to suspect the
fuel pump.  Have you tried turning the engine over using the hand
crank?  Have you checked to make sure that the starter didn't jam in the
flywheel ring gear when you were trying to restart it?  This is a common
situation and when it happens, the starter will not turn the engine over
because it doesn't have a chance to come up to speed before engaging the
ring gear.  There is a square drive on the back end of the starter (it
may have a cover over it).  Get a wrench on the square drive and see if
you can turn it one way or the other.  If it won't turn then the drive
gear is jamed in the flywheel.  Turning it opposit from the normal
direction (sorry, I don't know whaich way that is) will usually cause
the drive gear to disengage the flywheel.

Good luck,
Dave