carb needles

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: carb needles
From: "Scott Allen" <sallen6363@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:36:40 -0400
OK, here's another one.  It's actually pretty simple...

To get the obvious out of the way I've got a rebuilt to original spec engine
and head.  Dizzy's rebuilt and I've got a new timing chain and gears.  New
cam and valves adjusted to the paper that came with them...  Lastly but not
leastly the carbs, (1 1/4" HS's) have been rebuilt...

Now that we've got that out of the way, the rear carb is the problem.  If
you've been following the list I had an un-centered jet problem and year ago
I had seal problems, and both have been solved.  However, with the
adjustment nut all the way up, (0 flats out) it's on the edge of being in
tune: the plugs burn black with just a hint of brown.  Soooo, I'm looking at
needles now.  Currently there's a standard, (ES) needle in it.  Now if I
want to lean the carb out do I go with a lean needle, (an AP) because it
needs to be lean'd out or a rich needle, (an EM) because it's running to
rich?

I'm sure there's a  Seinfeld  episode in there somewhere, but as always any
help appreciated.

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 1/2 BGT