Re: hood (bonnet) rubbers

To: <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>, "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: hood (bonnet) rubbers
From: "Brian & Jan" <btsmith@island.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:09:14 -0800
Bob Howard

I believe that we are talking about the rubber strip at the rear of the
bonnet that is fitted to the cowl area. When I was restoring my car I had
taken my old rubber strip off and it was one piece running from one side up
and over to the other. When I tried to fit the new rubber the bonnet apeared
to sit proud of the rest of the body work and I couldn't seem to get enough
torque to screw the centre strip down enough. At that time I asked the
question about fitting and was given a couple of alternatives, one was to
cut out the rubber strip just around the chrome finisher allowing the
"hinge" to sit flat on the wood, the other option was to mark the rubber and
carefully strip about half of its thickness just under the centre strip
hinge and chrome cap.

I used the second method as cutting the rubber around the hinge appeared to
make the hinge are too low and put too much torque and stress on the bonnet
panels in this area. By slicing out half of the thickness my bonnet sits at
the right height as compared to the body and the panels, while sitting
snuggly on the rubber, have no extra pressure which may have been the reason
that many of our bonnet panels show little cracks by the rear hinge. (and we
thought it was allowing the bonnet to fold over?????)

Anyway, all I can say is it has worked for me. Two pieces meeting in the
middle would not have that clean continuous line that they came with.

My 2 cents (canadian)
Brian