Re: [Mg-t] MGTD Mark II

To: KRISLYNCO.LLC@roadrunner.com
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] MGTD Mark II
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:51:13 -0400
Rocky,
   It's a great day when a TD is fired up after a long sleep.  Everyone
shares your happiness.
   Front seals usually seal or leak. If it's leaking, it may need to be
replaced yet again. Were you able to be 100 percent certain that there
were no sharp areas on the shaft when you slid the seal into place?  Was
the shaft full-size (not grooved or worn or scratched?  Was the seal
oiled or greased on its sealing lip when installed?
    Hesitation can be from any number of things. Have you enough time on
the engine to read the color of the spark plugs?  If you have any doubts
about  mixture, you could safely give it an extra flat of richness.  Is
there sufficient oil in the dashpots?   Have you given a gentle snug to
each of the bolts clamping manifolds to the head?
    Is the fuel less than six months old?
  The coil should do the job if it works at all. Connections are clean
and tight? Spark plug wires are good?
  Points are always suspect. You could pull a piece of clean paper
between them to clean them, then check the gap. Dwell timing is more
accurate than feeler gauges, and easier to do.  MG wrote that timing
should be set at 0, though most of us run 3-5 degrees advance, and that's
done as static timing, not with a timing light at idle.
  It's certainly not a fuel pump issue.  Either pump is more than
sufficient for a TD engine unless it's getting about 10 miles per gallon.

  Valve clearances are OK, adjusted for the camshaft that's in the
engine?
  It's probably something quite simple to remedy, once identified.  Let
us know what the problem turned out to be.
Bob