Re: Pinto steering shaft

To: Larry A Hoy <mgbv8@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Pinto steering shaft
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:07:19 -0400
Cc: MGB-V8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hi List!

Isn't this a great idea. Thanks to whoever was responsible.

My V8 , Buick/ T5/ Ford 8" is in a '74 GT with an early front
crossmember. By slotting the bolt holes where the steering column goes
through the firewall, I was able to lower it enough that I could get a
straight shot to the rack. The mounting pads on the rack were filed to a
different angle and shimmed slightly to provide the correct alignment.
the shaft was then cut to the proper length to mate with the column
u-joint. About 2 hours work, no parts, & no additional u-joints. I did
not respline the cut end, I opened the u-joint in a vise to allow for
the full shaft diameter, & replaced the original bolt & nut with grade
8. After everything was in place, I had a gorrilla tighten that bolt
until  he bent the wrench (just kidding). I marked the shaft & u-joint,
& after 11,000 miles, it has not moved.

The very slight change in the tilt of the steering wheel is not
noticible. I did not have to dimple the header pipes, or make any other
mods. I did use the motor mounts that Glen sells -the A/C version that
sets the motor back further than the traditional mounts.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jim Stuart

1975 MGB V8
1974 MGBGT V8