Re: Buick bell housing and payola

To: mgbv8@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Subject: Re: Buick bell housing and payola
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:04:41 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
>On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 19:14:49 -0500 Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com> writes:
 Jack, if you read this, I want a real good deal on whatever
>>you come up with as a pan hard rod for my B.

Sure will, but first let's help out Larry.

>Ok, Ok, enough Jim.
>
>Jack, did you pay Jim to do this????   : - )

Actually, I took Jim's money and said Thank You.  We are glad that we could
help.

>Jack I don't know if you can locate a Buick bell housing but I am
>interested.  I just thought I would take this opportunity to let you
>know.

Have one and it is going in a customer car.  They are scarce.  But........

What if....you took the "Dual Path auto box and cut off the bell housing
with a sawzall and welded on a flat 5/8 or so thick plate.  Machined it flat
and bored for the front bearing retainer on the trans and tapped 4 holes?
Use a hydro throughout bearing, it would work.  Stop laughing, I'll bet you
could do it for a lot less than I sell bellhousings.  If you could BORROW a
housing to set up the mill the machine work is a snap.

Or.....take a 3/8 steel plate and make an adapter ring to adapt a common GM
standard shift bellhousing with the proper pattern for the tranny to the
block.  Bolt the plate to the block with flat head allen screws in
countersunk holes.  Another easy deal for a decent machinist.  A 3/8 plate
pulls the tranny back out of the pilot bearing by only 3/8 so that should
not be a problem.  Make a bunch and sell them to recoup R + D costs, takes a
lot of beer to keep those thought channels flowing.  A small block Chevy has
a fairly decent alloy housing and is CHEEEP!

Our newest project car is a 74 1/2 with a SD1 powertrain, quick and easy.
My '67 is a T-5 with a 2 inch engine setback.  Had to open up area under
heater for bellhousing clearance.  A Chevy housing would be a tight fit, but
what are your options?

As to all of this chatter about POWER, remember the MGB V-8 credo.  We must
always use our power for good, never for evil.  Or is that the Possum Lodge
credo?  Jim's right, the memory goes first.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
'68 TR250