Starter

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter
From: "Matt Diamond" <mgb_69@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:47:40 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello all,

Does anyone have any idea how fast a starter has to spin to start a Buick
215?  By that I mean how many RPMs the engine should turn while trying to
starting the engine. Any info on stock versus the gear reduction units would
also be appreciated.

I am in hopes that there is not an internal engine problem creating what I
might consider as slow cranking, but, since I have no idea, can anyone tell
me how many foot pounds of torque it takes to turn the engine by hand with
plugs removed?  The size of the nut on the crank shaft would also be
appreciated since I doubt I have one of the needed size and will have to get
one if I am going to proceed with this test.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Matt