Starter

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter
From: "Matt Diamond" <mgb_69@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:38:55 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello once again,

First, I would like to thank all who have replied to my slow starter
situation.

Maybe some additional info will jog your thoughts on my problems.  The
engine is used, not a recent rebuilt.  It supposedly has around 25k or so on
it since it was rebuilt.  It also supposedly ran recently.  The dry
compression is in the 120 to 130 range across the board.  I am not too sure
how the perceived slow cranking affects these readings if at all.  The oil
pressure does seem to register about 25 pounds or so when cranking the
engine.  It has aluminum heads with an adapter plate under a 4 barrel
rochester quadrajet carb (unknown cfm at the moment) sitting up top what I
believe is the stock aluminum intake manifold.

The battery is of unknown age, but does take a full charge.  I have also
used a battery charger with a 75A start mode too.  Turning the engine over
does seem to draw a lot of power. While watching the advance weights in the
distributor, they only seem to rotate about once a second with plugs in or
removed.  I assume that because it only fires each plug once on every other
revolution that that equates to about 120 RPM?

I have checked all of the connections, but will do so once again.  I am
assuming, and I really hate to do that, that the battery cables are of
proper size since it does pull a lot of current.

I hate to ask this next question, but guess I should be prepared.  Since it
appears many of you might have had the pleasure of pulling a few starters,
is there enough room to pull the starter with engine in place in a MGB?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the stock starter is about 4.5 inches
in diameter?  Not too sure if it will clear the frame rail and all or not so
I figured it would be worth asking now.

I have called around to see if I can find a replacement and no one seems to
have one or can get one.  I have quotes on rebuilding it for 75 to 100 from
a couple of sources.

I guess it would not hurt to pull the radiator and see if I can turn the
engine by hand.  Sure hope I am not looking at bearings or worse, a bent
crank etc. arrrgggghhhhh!!!   No doubt those problems would create some
major resistance!  I am trying to stay positive on this, but have to
consider all of the possible problems that can create this situation.

Well, thanks to all once again for your replies.  If anyone has any other
thoughts, I would appreciate them.  I have no doubt you will be hearing from
me soon with regards to other questions regarding this conversion and it is
good to know there are nice people out there who have experience and willing
to share their thoughts and ideas.

Best Regards,

Matt