Ford 8" narrowing and brake options

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ford 8" narrowing and brake options
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:17:49 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hopefully i'll be sending my 8" housing to Currie this week for narrowing.
First question is, what should be my flange to flange width.  I seem to
remember it being 54" flange/flange with the pinion centered.  Can't seem to
find it in the archives.

Second, what are most doing for rear brakes.  I have an 8" from a maverick
(73'??) with 10" drums and the 5 bolt pattern.  I plan on having Currie change
the pattern to 4X4.5.  Does anyone know of a Ford vehicle with a 4X4.5 pattern
and a 10" drum.  I believe they make them for a 9" drum.  Did the late 60's
Mustangs use a 10 or 9" drum and was it a 4X4.5 pattern?

The existing backing plate and drum hardware are in pretty bad shape, so it
looks like I will have to go with all new hardware.

So here are my options:
1. Currie wants $190 for a pair of 10" drum units.  Get that and find some 10"
drums with a 4X4.5 bolt pattern.

2. Find a junkyard or buy new from Ford a 9" drum unit from the Maverick that
has the 4x4.5 pattern already.  Probably around the same if not more cost than
1.

3. Go with disc brakes.  From my research, it looks like the rear rotors from
a 89' 240SX would do the job, they have a 4.5 pattern and it looks like they
are the type that slides over the wheel studs and doesn't bolt to a hub.  I
already have calipers that would fit, so all I would have to do would be to
make some adapters to bolt the calipers on. (no problem with my milling
machine)

So what does everyone think?  Any help would be appreciated

Mike