Re: Ford 8" narrowing and brake options

To: mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford 8" narrowing and brake options
From: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:59:18 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I bought a later-model Ford 8" just to to get the brake back plates because I
remembered early Mustangs having the same 4-1/2" pattern as my old MGA.  It
turned out the 8" had 4-1/4", and I later found the early (60s) 6 cyl Mustang
and Falcon really did have the 4-1/2" pattern we want (to match the MG
fronts), but they're hard to find. I used the back plates and had to weld and
machine them to fit to my rear end flanges.  I bought new 9" drums and
drilled them to 4-1/2".  I dont recall the early rear ends having 10",
though.  They're wider than the MG shoes, so should be adequate for
non-racing.  I have a narrowed Mopar 8-3/4 rear end and had Currie make the
axle ends 4X4-1/2, so my flange-to-flange dimensions wont help you..
  I'd like to hear more about those Datsun disc rear brakes... especially if
anyone ever fit them to Mopar rear end.