Re: Another electrical question

To: "Glenn" <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:49:11 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Those voltage are pretty normal for a car with a 12v system, perhaps the 9v
is a tad low.  Shouldn't cause you any problems though, if it is cranking
but not sparking something is wrong with your ignition.  The 9v could be a
weakish battery, or could be bad connection on the ground side as well as
the hot side (which you have bypassed).  Connect a voltmeter between the hot
battery post and the solenoid post and measure the voltage while cranking.
Do the same from the ground battery post and the starter body.  Ideally you
should only get about 0.25v each side, which is the voltage being dropped in
good connections and the cables.  Anything over 1v is worth cleaning all the
heavy current connections - don't forget the engine/gearbox ground strap.
Any other voltage loss is within the battery, which can be measured by
putting a voltmeter across the battery posts while cranking.

PaulH.