RE: Spongy brakes on race track

To: "'mgb-v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spongy brakes on race track
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:48:52 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Boiling brake fluid has little to do with the heat from your headers.
The heat generated in the brakes themselves during racing superheats the
fluid.  If you read the info on the can of fluid you'll see it probably
has a boil point of around 300 degrees (if this info isn't on the can it
may be even less).  That's not high enough for performance driving.
Change fluid.  Both Wilwood and AP make dot 4 fluid in a 550 degree
range.  There are even higher rated fluids (600) but they are in the $22
a pint price range.  The 550 ought to suit your needs fine.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy