V8 Gearbox conversions

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: V8 Gearbox conversions
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:49:14 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,

Still motoring around in the V8, 1000's of miles passing by. Fixed that ex.
manifold leak I had and it cured the hiccups I was experiencing - car feels
like new these days. :) Superb.

Unfortunately I have run into a more serious problem. The other day I found
a 5" hairline crack in the gearbox casing, she's leaking oil pretty rapidly
now. My factory V8 is slightly uprated with a Rover 3.9 efi cam & Weber. The
crack looks like fatigue to me or a casting fault - definitely not impact.
So I have a couple of choices repair and refit the existing box or fit a
Rover 5spd (and repair the original to keep on the 'shelf'). I'm worried if
I r&r the existing box it will just reoccur if it's due to the additional
hp - I already know many of you have had boxes fail even perfectly stock
so..

Now I know most of you are conversion owners, so what is the latest,
strongest Rover Box I should look for (model no.) and where can I find out
the mods I need to make to fit it? Will I need to make any changes to the
bodywork of the car (I hope not!!), how about mounts, clutch etc?

For parts/advice to perform the conversion, who would you recommend in the
UK?

Cheers,
Neil
Portsmouth, England