Re: S B Ford block question

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: S B Ford block question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:36:14 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/27/2001 7:52:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CraigFaubel@aol.com writes:

> I have an old (1969) 302 Ford engine I'm putting in my B.  Clearances are
> tight, of course, and I heard that Ford changed something about the block
> externally that makes the newer 302 blocks slightly taller or wider at the
> top.   I also heard today that this is NOT true and that all 302 blocks are
>
> entirely interchangeable.  My question is not only is or is this not true,
> but if I should come into a good amount of fun money and buy an aluminum
> 302
> block from Ford Motorsport, would there be ANY differences from my 1969
> block?  Specifically, are all internals interchangeable (hard to believe
> from
> Ford) and would heads fit EXACTLY the same so that headers would fit
> exactly
> the same???    Who can I ask if not the List?

Craig,

I have a '76 302, and it is virtually the same as the newest 302 I have,
purchased in 1999 from Ford Motor Sports. I say virtually because I have
found two minor differences - The location of the hole for the oil dipstick,
and a small protuberance near the motor mount bolt holes on one side. I made
my motor mounts based on the '76 block, and had to do a small bit of grinding
to get them to fit the later block. If you use original Ford mounts, that
protuberance does not interfere. Other than that, all 302 engines are
interchangeable.

The later Fords use a serpentine belt system, which requires a different
water pump if you want to revert to a v-belt drive, and there may be a small
difference in the front cover for the different pumps, but I don't recall for
sure. I bought a cover from a an older car - a 68 Mustang I think - at a swap
meet, and it replaced the factory cover exactly.

What You've been told about the blocks being wider and taller was probably
referring to the 351 Ford engine. It is basically a stroked 302, thus the
higher and wider block. Many components from the 302 do interchange with the
351, but many don't, such as the intake manifold, connecting rods, etc.

Speaking of stroking, a 302 can be stroked to 347ci very easily and
economically, and there are many companies that sell kits/components/complete
engines for this.

The aluminum block is VERY expensive, and is designed to use a dry sump
oiling system, which will add even more to the co$t. The aluminum block
weighs 97 pounds, compared to 127 pounds for the iron block - a VERY
expen$ive 30 pound weight savings. Other than the cost and the oiling
problems, I believe the aluminum block takes the standard 302 parts. The
aluminum engine is stated by Ford to NOT be suitable for street use.

btw, a COMPLETE 302, with aluminum heads, water pump, intake, etc, weighs 424
pounds. That includes flywheel, clutch, starter, headers, intake system,
alternator - EVERTHING needed to make the engine run except oil and water.

Hope this helps.

Dan