Sebring flares

To: m1garand@speakeasy.net
Subject: Sebring flares
From: "Simon Austin" <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:46:25 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hmm........didn't know you could get just the flares. I can't tell you the name of the product my bodyman is using other than it's a marine-grade two-part epoxy. I actually had the gun in my hand put failed to note the name of the glue. He doesn't seem concerned about the differences in materials. He used the same epoxy to bond the scoop (ABS plastic, I believe) to the hood as well.

He's got the rears done. I can scan and send you some photos if you like. Looking at them now you can't tell where the metal and fibreglass meet (which is what I want). What sort of quality do the fenders you're using have? I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of mine but that's the nature of 'glass. If I ever did this again, I'd bond the front flares to the metal fenders (I knew they fit and were virtually rust-free).

I was in Key West back in '95. Don't remember the place you mentioned but then again, don't remember much about it other than I was there......

Cheers
Simon

I just ordered my Sebring flares (the place in Florida makes just flares,
not the whole panel).  In the front, I am going to graft them to new
fiberglass fenders to avoid any cracks in the paint from thermal cycling
between materials with two different thermal properties.  In the back, I'm
going to do it like your mechanic did.  One pro bodyman I talked to
suggested using flexible epoxy, flexible putty, and adding flex additive to
the primer/paint/clear paints.  He uses this method all the time when
bonding glass hood scoops to metal hoods, and he doesn't have any real
problems.  Any idea what epoxy your bodyman used?

Peace,
James J.