Re: Distributors

To: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:19:30 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Nowhere, complete distributors are unobtanium unless refurbished
second-hand, and you need to know who did them and how good a job they did.
But my distributor has had no centrifugal and no vacuum advance at various
times, I didn't know from driving it, just from checking those items at a
routine service, the V8 *should* rev way past the red line without any
drama.  Weak or broken springs would result in over advanced and hence
pinking at lower revs, which would correct itself at higher revs.  You can
check them by turning the rotor arm in the normal direction of travel
against spring pressure and slowly letting it return and it should go all
the way, there should be no slop.  However after many years some slop is
inevitable, and a little will do no real harm.