Re: Catalytic Converter question

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Catalytic Converter question
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:36:56 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have trouble believing that the air was pumped into the exhaust system to
'burn' residue fuel.  This would mean flames leaping out of the exhaust
with an accompanying roar somewhat akin to jet a afterburn unit.   Could
the air pump be just a devious manufacturers trick to reduce the percentage
of pollutants in the exhaust stream thus defeating the regulations
forbidding above a certain percentage of noxious fumes ?  I do not think
petroleum products effect the platinum in the converters but lead will kill it.

At 08:31 PM 9/5/2003 -0400, James J. wrote:
>All,
>    I've been toying with adding catalytic converters to an MGB-GT that
> I'm planning on making a daily-driver after a V-8 conversion (w/
> closed-loop fuel injection) and restoration.  From what I understand,
> though, unburnt fuel can damage catalytic converters.  I know that
> air-pumps are added to cars starting in the late 60's to inject air into
> the hot exhaust to allow any un-burnt fuel to combust before entering the
> atmosphere, long before Cats became mandatory.
>    So my question is:  Does a car  w/ Cats require an air-pump, and heads
> designed for an air-injection rail?  Even if the car is running
> closed-loop?  What is the little air-tube on Cats for, and is it required
> for proper use?
>    Thanks, and please.. no feline jokes....
>James J.

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson