Re: Catalytic Converter question

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Catalytic Converter question
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:03:36 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
Yes, air-pumps really do cause the un-burnt fuel to combust, but they do it right after the exhaust valve, where the exhaust gasses are still essentially burning (depending on operating conditions) so there is no additional "flame" beyond what is already there. In other words, if you were to run your engine w/out any exhaust manifold, you would already see flames coming out of the heads. The un-burnt gasoline is already above combustion temperature, and it just needs a little air to support combustion. Unburnt hydrocarbons are just as bad as some of the combustion byproducts, which is why carburated cars had the evaporative adsorption canisters. A back-fire would require a big plug of gasoline to go off, not the dilute quantities that an air-pump supports.
As far as why I would want to add a Cat to my MGB, the one car I'll (possibly) be adding it to would be a daily driver and I don't feel like contributing to the acid rain problem after I've just spent all this money on paint. Seriously, w/out preaching, we all have a responsibility to help keep the planet clean, and hi-flow aftermarket Cats don't take out a huge chunk of power. I can always bypass them at the track if I need to. On the roadster, I wouldn't bother, but the plan is for the GT to see daily DC beltway traffic (read: gridlock), and after being stationed in California and seeing what the LA smog is like I'm willing to trade 5 to 10 HP for some healthful air.
Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a tree-hugger, but I don't dump my old oil in the yard or in the gutter (I take it to a Jiffy Lube-type place) either. Some of the old emission-control stuff did more harm than good, and some of it really works. According to one study I read, late-70's and early 80's 4-cylinder cars are the worst offenders out there, even though they had a full compliment of emissions gear. I think it has something to do with them being carburated ( and typically not tuned well) and the drivers using Wide Open Throttle all the time to overcome the effects of the power-sapping gear.

Telewest (PH) wrote:

Dunno why you would want to add a cat by choice, they sap power. I doubt
unburnt fuel damages cats (leaded does), it is a common problem in colder
climes and the cat is not effective for several miles. Many years ago I saw
a modified cat fitted with a spark plug to ignite the unburnt fuel and so
get it up to working temp much more rapidly, don't know whether this was
ever adopted by manufacturers. Unless emissions regs required it I wouldn't
fit any of the pollution control stuff.

PaulH.