RE: RV8 style exhausts

To: m1garand@speakeasy.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RV8 style exhausts
From: "Simon Austin" <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:00:04 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James,

I believe Clive Wheatley makes a set of templates based on the RV8 set-up.

www.mgv8.homestead.com

As for the reinforcing bits; I had strips of aluminum cut to shape after my holes were cut and then attached these both sides with "socket-head" bolts. Looks pretty good. I can send you some pictures if you like.

Cheers
Simon

All,
I'm starting to prepare my empty engine bay to take the Rover 4.9 engine, which is getting ported at the shop. Is there any reliable way to mark and cut out the required openings in the inner wings to let the RV8-style headers pass through without having either the engine or headers in my posession? Any templates out there? I don't want to (read: can't afford to) buy headers right now, but I still want to get the engine bay prepared.
Also, do I need to reinforce the circumference of the openings like they did at the factory, or is that overkill?

Thanks,
James J.