Re: Got my "new" '67 MGBGT V8 home yesterday - picture link attached

To: match@ece.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Got my "new" '67 MGBGT V8 home yesterday - picture link attached
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:16:34 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>, MGs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
That is what I have heard from some of the older ;-) guys that I work with (just kidding - I'm 45 and am getting older fast).. The guy I got it from (who wasn't the guy who built it but was around back then when it was being built) said that it had a stroker crank. But he was wrong about the engine being a 265 when in fact the casting numbers reveal it to be a '58 Corvette 283. If I pull the heads some time I will measure the bore and stroke see what I have. This whole car is like one of those old "grab Bags" that I used to buy when I was a kid - you just never knew ahead of time what you would get - last night I opened the glove compartment to find a nice old brass dial type tire gauge in a plastic case - even the glove box looked bran new - no mouse holes (I think the car only has about 20k miles on the odometer.

I am going to have to quit looking on eBay though since my garage is quite full now, especially with all of the additional parts. I hadn't looked for several months on the MG/Triumph V8 search that I had saved - then I looked about 2 weeks ago and then found this car in northern Alabama - then the guy only want $1,000 for it, then I found out that northern AL was only 620 miles from western Missouri, then my wife said it wasn't that much money and it wasn't that far to drive - and that is how I now have another project! :-)

Kevin

match@ece.utah.edu wrote:

One nit to pick:

To build a 302 out of a 283, you just bore it 1/8" to 4.00 inches, same as the early Z-
28s. I can't imagine anyone stroking a 283 to get this displacement.

BTW I like this car more and more...

Marvin