Re: British V8 meet-now: Newsletter

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: British V8 meet-now: Newsletter
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:30:12 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
All,
E-mail can easily misrepresent emotion, so I apologize if the following sounds defensive. It isn't meant to.
The status of the newsletter (from my point of view, not necessarily the subscribers) is that it is healthy. The newsletter comes out 3 times a year. My first issue was in May for the May-August spread, and the second issue covers the Sept - December spread. A third issue won't be out until January. 60+ of the 100+ paid subscriptions went out on last Monday. The remainder would have gone out Tuesday had not my computer died. This is the 2nd time this summer. First was a hard-drive crash, and Tuesday was a motherboard/video-card kamikaze. Apparently I need to add PC's to the list of things I destroy merely by being in their presence, like sunglasses, watches and intimate relationships. But I paid big-money last night at a retail store to get a new mobo/cpu/video-card so that I could finish putting out the newsletter this week instead of buying it far cheaper (but slower) through the mail. I also have a bunch of back-issue orders that I've been equally delinquent on.
Yes, the September issue is going out in October, and I apologize for that. Between the hard-drive crash and a significant death in my family, I lost most of my weekends and evenings in late August and September. I also had to write most of this issue my self due to a lack of articles (though many, many thanks are due to those of you who never fail me with good material and photos).
As far as the web-site is concerned, I probably won't do much with it for some time. It's not high on my priority list. Getting back-issues properly scanned and archived, so that I don't have to mail out 3rd generation photocopies to people who order back issues is near the top, as well as assembling the actual current issues that people pay for. We have a very talented and generous web-master, but it's not her job to generate content. I'll tell you right now, that unless people send me updates and material to post there, it will remain largely dormant until I get some free time.
I'm not trying to offer excuses for my behavior, but rather to explain where things are and how they got there. I take full responsibility for the delays. Rest easy knowing that I care deeply about the product I produce, and that the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

V/R
James Jewell

Greg A Myer wrote:

Marvin,
Be reassured ! I e mailed James a few wkks ago. He needed another picture for an article as he had just about everything
set to print, but had one space to fill.
I sent it and expect to see it in the mail "any day now".
In fact James said he had more new subs and renewals this summer,
so it looks like things should get better.
Greg

Speaking of the British V8 websight, I'd gladly subscribe to the newsletter, (dare I admit that I don't currently subscribe?) but from the state of the websight, the newsletter looks to be in trouble. Maybe that's just my perception... Has there been a second (or third by now) issue published in 2004? If not, then James clearly needs our help. I know that one of the hardest parts of publishing a newsletter is getting folks to submit articles.

Somebody reassure me, and I'll subscribe.
Marvin

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.