Re: Broken Motor Mount

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, Rick1huber@aol.com
Subject: Re: Broken Motor Mount
From: match@ece.utah.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:04:04 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
On 10 Apr 2005 at 17:32, Rick1huber@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Discovered yesterday that I have a separated motor mount on the driver's
> side.  It looks like a clean break of the rubber away from the metal plate
>on
> the engine side.  I'm wondering if it is a clean break and I have a  smooth
> surface there, is there any hope that I could squirt a bunch of super  glue
>in
> there between the rubber and the metal and hope for it to stay  put.

I think you're stuck. Superglue doesn't really bond well to vulcanized rubber.
Just buy
a new motor mount.

> Assuming that doesn't work, does anybody know of a more durable motor mount
> I could use than the standard MGB one?

I'm not aware of anything, but you could either modify a stock one to have
stops to
prevent it being pulled apart like the last one was, (a pin and loop affair) or
chain the
left side of the motor down with a cable.

Way back in the day, when we were having lots of seperation among Chevy mounts,
a restraint cable was a dealer-installed modification until mounts became
available
with built-in stops, so you couldn't pull the mount abart when the motor
torqued over.
The rubber would still fail, but the two halves of the mount remained captive
to one
another.

Marvin Match