Re: [Mgb-v8] [Mgs] Miata rear end

To: edd.rogers@GM.COM, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] [Mgs] Miata rear end
From: "James J." <m1garandusa@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:44:42 -0500
   Edd,
        OK,  I'm following.  You were describing it's limit as a % of the
   total  drivetrain  rating.  While I personally wouldn't take the risk,
   it  could probably go higher, as the inertia of the MG at a standstill
   would  be  far  less  load  on  the  system  than  a heavier car.  T-5
   transmissions, rated at ~230 ft-lbs in Ford Mustangs have handled well
   over 300 ft-lbs in MGs and light kit-cars.
   V/R
   James
   edd.rogers@GM.COM wrote:

     James, In an AWD vehicle there is a central differential that doles
     out the power to front and rear of vehicle.  Typically there is 60%
     alloted  to  the  main  axle  and  40%  to  the  secondary.  If the
     vehicle's  basic  design  is FWD then the majority of power goes to
     the  front  axle. So, all I am saying is that one needs to exercise
     due  diligence  before  going  forward.   If  the rear diff is only
     designed for 40% then it probably will be massively overstressed if
     100%  of the torque is applied since the V-8 at least makes similar
     torque  to  the Rendezvous' engine. This would be bad.  In research
     on internet it appears that it is a varaible system that will allow
     up  to  70%  of  torque to a particular axle so not as bad as I was
     thinking  initially.  The engine used made about 250 lbs/ft so, you
     are within design when no more than 175 lbs/ft go to the rear diff.
      There  is probably a safety margin built in of some amount. I just
     don't want to see someone go to all the work and R &D and then blow
     the diff.
     Edd Rogers
     A Unistaff employee representing General Motors
     Sales Engineer
     MD Business Center
     31 E Judson St
     Pontiac MI  48342
     Ph:  248.874.3503

   "James J." <m1garandusa@verizon.net>

   01/12/2009 07:36 PM

   edd.rogers@gm.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net

                                                                       cc

                                                                  Subject

   Re: [Mgb-v8] [Mgs] Miata rear end

     Edd,
         What  does that mean?  That one has to de-rate the drivetrain's
     max
     safe  torque  rating by 40% when calculating if it is strong enough
     for
     the  MG, or are you describing some kind of clutch mechanism in the
     input
     of  the  rear  differential  that decouples/unlocks above a certain
     torque?
         If  it's  the former, we would also have to take in account the
     MG's
     light weight vs. a Rendezvous (~2500lbs vs. ~5000(?)).
     T-5  transmissions  are typically rated at a much lower torque than
     they
     can actually handle in a British car.
         Does  anyone  know  if  it shares internals with another common
     design?
     V/R
     James.