Re: SU Choke

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU Choke
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:21:29 +0000
On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Mark Jurras wrote:

> #1)     When I pressed the accelerator pedal and pulled the choke knob
> out as far a I could it would set the high idle cams but I could not
> pull it out enough to pull the jets down against the spring pressure.
> Should I need to put both feet on the dash and pull hard? When I
> disconnect the cable from the linkage it pulls easy. The mechanisim
> seems to lose its leverage just as it is needed. I can go under the
> hood (bonnet) and work it by hand ok.

No, I just replaced my choke cable, and am having trouble getting the
footprints out of my dash.  It turned out there was a kink in the cable
which made it very stiff.  The new one operates as you would expect
(allowing you to keep one foot on the brake, and one on the gas...)

Check the stiffness of the cable when it is disconnected from the choke
mechanism.  There should be >no< noticeable resistance.

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Wyszkowski's Second Law:
   Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough."