MGs in the press

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGs in the press
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 08:05:55 +0500
Fellow fiends:

A member of my local car-guy support group recommended the magazine
"Sportscar International" to me, so I subscribed (I always do what they tell
me to do, tho I haven't yet bought a Lotus Europa).  I like it quite a bit
(the magazine that is, I'm not sure how I feel about the Europa).  It has a
mix of articles on super-dooper cars none of us can afford, articles on
racing history, vintage sports and racing cars, etc.  One of the things I
also like about it (in contrast to other widely distributed car mags) is
that it *doesn't* waste paper on new car reviews on mini-vans, sport-utes,
or six passenger Pontiacs.  I can guarantee I'll never own one of those!

Why am I bringing this up?  Not a shameless plug for the magazine; I don't
work for them.  But... the last page of every issue has a two column article
on "affordable sports."  Previous were the bugeye and the BMW 2002.  This
month (april) it is the MGB.  I thought you folks would like to hear a few
of the remarks they make:

"The MGB is right on the cusp - collectors have driven  prices for the
nicest models into the very overpriced $6000-9000 range, but normal people
are still swapping  respectable drivers starting at a decidedly underpriced
$1800."

"normal" people?????  I thought normal people drove mini-vans, sport utes
and six passenger Pontiacs!!??

The article describes the evolution from 3-main to 5-main, from 3-synchro to
4-synchro, from (+) to (-) earth, etc.  Starting with the '69 model...

"From there it was all downhill.  Through 1972 these cars were still quite
pure, but in 1973 a pair of smoggalble SUHIF carbs replaced the traditional
units and power fell to 78.5 horses.  Big rubber bumper overriders came in
'74 and by 1975 we say heavy ugly 1 piece rubber bumpers, a single
fire-prone carb replacing thw twin SUs and power falling to a measly 63 horses."

I think Scott Fisher would blame this in BPSL "British PhlegmSucking
Leyland"  Scott: did I spell "phlegmsucking" correctly?
Every one of the articles I've read says something about rust...

"Rust is an ongoing problem in the front and rear fenders, the sills, the
doors and floor boards. ...  Most MGs will also show the "MG crack" -a split
in the metal right below the windwing."

It has a flat side-on drawing of a BGT, which brings back memories of my own
late great '74 GT.  I'd like another one of those some day, with OD,
leather, etc.

The article ends with the statement: "Popular, reliable, collectible, fun to
drive and cheap; what more could the rational enthusiast ask for?"

I'm with him up to the "rational enthusiast" remark.  Could someone explain
to me what a "rational" enthusiast is?

Will "I don't make the news, I just report it" Zehring