Re: New MGs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MGs
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:17:45 +0500
TeriAnn writes:

>Looking at the car I would say it could have had two parents.  One was a red
>Miata, the other would be a red current model Mustang convrtable.  The overall
>shape  remindewd me more of the miata, but the various openings, grill etc
>reminded me more of the new Mustang.  I hate to say it, but I think I like the
>Miata's lines a little better.

I think that is an apt description, too.  There are a few photos of the
"MGF" in the latest issue of AutoWeek, and several photos in the latest
issue of "MG Magazine."  None of these folks has test driven the car but
they do publish factory offered information on the car.  It is a mid-engine
rear drive car, convertible (of course), with an optional removable hard
top.  So far there appear to be two engine packages.  Both (I think) are
1800cc.  Both are 24 valve.  One has an optional electronic control of valve
timing (I think) that adds an additional 20 or so horses to the "base"
engine with about 126.  It weighs a tick more than a Miata so the
performance is virtually identical (0-60 for the base in the mid 8.0's, down
to a flat 7 for the higher powered engine).  Some of this may not be
absolutely correct; I'm working from memory of a quick read on Saturday.

So far all cars appear to be for home sales (i.e. RHD only).  Rover intends
to begin construction in July or so.  There are medium range hopes for sale
in Europe.  That means LHD cars.  So far no firm plans for sale in the US.
One delay likely has to do with the development of a dealer network.  Prices
are pegging at 15,000 pounds for the base model and 17,000 for the higher
power model.  That puts it in the $22,000+ range at current exchange rates.
>From what I've read, don't even think about US export until '96 or later.
At present the car does not meet all US Govt. safety requirements.

Again, I think TeriAnn summarizes the body style pretty well.  Frankly, I
don't care too much for the mustang, either!  The hints of any sort of
derivative of the B are not at all obvious, especially when compared to the
RV8.  This gives the appearance of a really new line.  I think I tend to
agree with TeriAnn also in that the Miata (I'm sailing under two flags in
this discussion; see my directory entry) is a bit more attractive.  Maybe
the style will grow on me?  At first blush I was excited to just see the
octagon on a new car, but I didn't immediately fall in love with the
aesthetics of the car.  OTOH, the interior is, in my mind, distinctly
superior to the Miata's.  But then, the Brits always did do a nice interior!

Will "I'm keepin' the B" Zehring