Re: antenna

To: ROG <ST931244@PIP.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU>
Subject: Re: antenna
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:01:25 -0500
>hey there all, i have a question. my '73 b has it's antenna on the right
>fender. now my question arises because i have never seen another b with its
>aerial there except once in a photo. that b also showed a european license
>plate.
------------------
Rog -

Of the 13 MGBs I've owned, most of them had antennas installed on the
right!  I can only think of two that were installed on the left.  I've
never thought anything of it because I figured that was just a preference
thing with the dealer/installer/po or whatever. Why would an antenna be
installed in a car without a radio?  Since all my Bs had radios - I've
never seen one without.  Did they ALL come from the factory with antennas?

BUT, I've always had a preference for those antennas that recede flush into
the wing when not in use, and I had to return one once because of
insufficient clearance in the rearword section of the RF wing where the
hole is usually cut (which brings the antenna lead out through the opening
in the inner wing right next to the charcoal canister).  These antennas are
in all the major MGB catalogs - can somebody tell me where they are
supposed to be installed?

Related question: I don't like speakers in MGB doors.  Even with the
plastic shields, sooner or later the speakers get wet.  In my GTs, POs have
cut the speakers into the side panels behind the doors - but there isn't
room there for much of a speaker.  I would never cut holes in the bulkhead
into the trunk as so many POs have.  In my '73 conv I built a platform-like
enclosure that houses two 6X9s right above the battery access panel.  It
works OK when the top is up and there is still room to put the top down but
the folded top muffles the speakers pretty badly.  And of course the
speaker enclosure makes access to the batteries (actually, battery) even
more inconvenient.

Frankly,  as a musician, I hear alot of music.  When I get into my MG, I
kinda prefer to listen to the sounds IT makes.  But on occasion, I'd like
some decent stereo sounds as well. Anybody got some super speaker-location
ideas?  Is there a good woofer that will mount under a seat and are there
some good miniature midrange-tweeter combinations that will mount
unobtrusively under the dash on either side?

Thanks,
Allen Bachelder