Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak

To: jdrex@microsoft.com, Johnmowog@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 08:34:31 -0400
In message <9504122059.AA25311@netmail2.microsoft.com> Jeff Drexler writes:
> I bought this screen from Moss (Goleta, CA.) in November 1993 for my
> 1969 MGB.  The Moss part number is 471-025 (Air Intake Screen) and it
> cost $7.95 then.  It is a metal screen, dull grey color, precut with
> appropriate holes drilled.  Of course, I never installed it because
> then it would never rain again in Seattle and that would have terrible
> consequences.  Now if someone could only tell me how to get the chrome
> vent grill off...
> ----------
> Moss now sells a nice chrome wire mesh screen, less than ten bucks if memory
> serves me, works and looks great!

So does anyone know the answer the the original question of how to get the
scuttle vent grill off?

It's been awhile since I did it - seems I recall the grill has little posts
cast into it which project through holes in the scuttle, secured on the
inside with those push-on spring-metal clips  (BHA 4082) similar to those
used to hold the badges on the boot lid.  One can probably pry them off
with a screwdriver and they can be recovered once the grill is off.
Replacing them is a bit trickier since dropped ones can no longer be
recovered.  I used one of those needle-nosed pliers bent 90 degrees to hold
and push them on.  But then, I reached through the grill opening to do so.
Once covered with the mesh, how does one reach through?

Allen Bachelder