Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak

To: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu
Subject: Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak
From: Gordon Clark Smith <gcs@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

> TeriAnn notes:
> >So does anyone know the answer the the original question of how to get the
> >scuttle vent grill off?

'snip

I found the best way to remove those little clips was to first shove a
rag or bunch of rags into the vent hole.  This prevents the little clips
from falling down and acting as 'rust seeds'.  Then, using a small sharp
screw driver or thick tipped knife pry the ends of the clips down, off
the body.  What you are tyring to do is get the sharp ends of the clips
off of the body metal.  Finally, using a pair of needle-nose pliers with
a 90 degree bend in them (as Allen suggested) pull the clips off by
grabbing the both bent tabs at the same time and gently rocking the pliers.
Don't worry about destroying the clips because you
won't be reusing them!  Instead use GE silicone bathtub sealant.  Apply
a dab of bathtub sealant to each post and stick the pieces into place on
the car.  Put some heavy phone books on top of the grill to keep it from
lifting and let sit overnight.

I have done this a whole bunch of times and have never had any problems.
The silicone trick is also nice because to remove the vent grill again
you just grab the grill and pull up.  Those with new paint should be careful
because you could pull the paint off too.  I would wait about six months
after a paint job (especially with a base-coat/clear-cost system)
before trying to remove the grill again.  Oh, by the way, if you are real
precise you can apply the sealant very carefully and seal water out from
the vent/screen/body contact areas.  A nice touch for those daily
drivers.  I also suggest painting the underside of the grill opening
after you have scratched the metal trying to remove the clips.

I have seen another method to remove the vent grill used.  This method
entails shoving the rags in the hole as previously suggested and then
just grabbing the grill with your hands and ripping it off the car.  I
know someone who does this all the time and it works.  The tabs are very
weak compared to the body metal (which happens to be very strong in this
area of the car) and vent grill posts.  I personnally don't use this
technique because my hands and back aren't gorilla size :-).

Just some ideas from my experiences,
G. Clark Smith

--
|| G. Clark Smith                              + gcs@acpub.duke.edu     ||