Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak and how to remove a scuttle vent grille

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: 63 MGB cowl water leak and how to remove a scuttle vent grille
From: Dirk de Boer <dirk.deboer@usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 09:43:31 -0900 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> And you can always go down to your local hardware store and purchase
> aluminum screen material and cut your own for almost no cash.
>
> So does anyone know the answer the the original question of how to get the
> scuttle vent grill off?

This is what I did and it looks really good. I had some left over from
a screen I replaced so my cost was nil.

The vent grill has some pins underneath that push into the same kind of
fasterners that are used to hold badges. Brute force might be adequate
to pull up the vent, but chances are you would lift the car. The better
way is to get at the fasteners from beneath if you can.

The fasteners consist of a sheet metal washers with a serrated inside edge.
Pushing the pin through the washer bends the serrations, and the
serrations then catch on the pin preventing the pin from being drawn
back through the washer. Alternatively, you may have plastic rings on
your pins which simply stay on by friction.

You will be able to see similar fasterners on the inside of you trunk
lid where they are used for holding on the badges. The ones for the
vent are quite a bit bigger though.

Once removed you will have to replace the fasteners. Some of the ones
removed may be reusable, but at least some of them will be bent beyond
hope.

Dirk