Rebuilding Hydraulic Dampers

Subject: Rebuilding Hydraulic Dampers
From: "Barnes, Bruce" <STCTBKB@cis.unocal.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 16:30:00 PDT
I have a '63 MGB which has been restored a couple of times.  It is currently
at a low
ebb...  The front hydraulic dampers lose oil rapidly enough that I'm
frequently
topping them off and working out the air.  I have some spare dampers that
are
probably not in much better shape, but I can tear them open and repair the
seals,
gaskets, or whatever.

My question is:  Has anyone done this?  Is it something that a logical, but
reluctant
home mechanic can attempt?  Are their special tools for disassembly and
reassembly?  Any gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Barnes
stctbkb@cis.unocal.com