Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:02:40 -0400
> Dave -
> It is entirely possible that, perhaps a victim of such old wive's tales, I
> mispoke.  All I know is that I've been told numerous times by numerous
> individuals to avoid DOT 3.  It may be just fine, but since I don't know
> that for sure, the safest and easiest solution is to avoid it in favor of
> DOT 4.  No - I can't imagine that boiling point is very critical to clutch
> hydraulics, but it would be rather a nuisance to use DOT 3 in the clutch MC
> and DOT 4 in the brake MC.  And, is the brake fluid boiling point critical
> in the MGB?  Do we have a resident hydraulics expert to resolve this?
>
>Allen

I work with a guy that had a TR4a years ago (He is still kicking
himself for selling it). Right after he bought it he topped up the
hydraulics with DOT 3. Soon after he had to have all the hydraulic
seals replaced. He now uses Castrol LMA in is BMW Motorcycles. He uses
Silicone in his MGTD (VW) Kit car only because the PO had put it in.

- -Mark "not an expert on anything" Jurras

       = =o&o